Um, ask for forgiveness not permission right? So after saying I rarely write articles (as mentioned in my shiny new 10 common SEO mistakes and how to fix them for free), here I am again just days later with a newbie for you, however I couldn’t resist sharing this news (plus a ‘how to’ of course since you know I’m all about upskilling and DIY)…
I may be jumping the gun a little here as this exciting new Facebook feature is still rolling out – and only available to limited advertisers in selected countries – so you may not see it as an option for your page yet here in New Zealand, BUT this is a fantastic feature that I can’t wait to start using for clients so had to tell you about it too!
UPDATE: Reports coming in of advertisers in the US and Netherlands seeing this option now. Hopefully NZ won’t be far behind now.
Called ‘Engagement on Facebook’ this is a brand new audience you can now reach for custom targeting for your Facebook ads based on their engagement with your page and your content…
Who can you target within the new ‘Engagement on Facebook’ audience?
I’m going to hazard a guess and tell you this is even cooler than you think. I wouldn’t normally get this excited about Facebook targeting by the way.
It’s a new way to reach some of the best-value people you can on Facebook.
- Have visited or engaged with your page, no matter what action they took.
- Have engaged with any of your posts or ads. Including all reactions (like, love, haha, wow, sad, angry), shares, comments, link clicks and even carousel swipes!
- Have clicked any call to action button. That’s your ‘Contact Us’ or ‘Learn More’ or ‘Shop Now’ or ‘Sign Up’ button (ie: any of the many button options you have used).
- Have sent a message to your page.
- Have saved your page or any of your posts (great for secret engagers who save your content instead of a reaction / like / comment / share).
You can now target your ads to each specific audience.
Feeling SO much yay for this right now, thank you Facebook!
There are other Engagement Custom Audiences too by the way, including targeting those who viewed your video/s, interacted with a lead ad and interacted with a canvas post or ad 🙂
Oh, and you can set the engagement period to anything from the past day to 365 days (I’d use another exclamation mark here but I feel like I’ve used up my quota already).
Where do you find Facebook Custom Audiences?
Go here https://www.facebook.com/ads/manager/audiences or select Audiences in your Business Manager, then…
1. Click ‘Create Audience’ then select ‘Custom Audience’:
2. Click the conveniently marked NEW: ‘Engagement on Facebook’:
3. Click the (also conveniently marked NEW): ‘Page’ option:
4. Select your page from the ‘Page’ drop-down at the top:
5. Pick which type of engagement you want to target from the ‘Include’ drop-down:
6. Enter how many days you want that engagement to have been, up to 365 days ago, in the ‘days’ box:
Finish by give your audience a name, click ‘Create Audience’ – and you’re done!
Now give it a little while to create your custom audience (about half an hour).
How to use your new audience (and expand it)
Once you’ve got it set up, you can select this audience for targeting (or excluding if you prefer).
When you edit your ad set, just enter the name you gave your audience when you created it.
Combine your Facebook ad targeting
Yes, you can still add geographic targeting – and if your engagement audience turns out to be a little teeny-tiny as of yet – definitely combine it with ‘Lookalike Audience’ as well to find people who are similar (select your audience then under the Actions menu drop-down top right, select ‘Create Lookalike’).
When you’re creating your Lookalike Audience, remember to select your country and audience size from the top 1% to 10% of the country.
What should you do with all these lovely people?
The obvious goal is conversion, conversion, conversion.
That might be to get click-through to your site, opt-in to your email database or offer a product that relates to what they’ve recently engaged with (even a little remarketing goes a very long way).
Are you as excited as I am? Do you have it yet?!
How many exclamation marks have I even used in this article?!!
Use the link and ‘how to’ above to check if you have this new feature yet.
In the meantime, please like and share this news with your network before you go – and make sure your marketing colleagues know all about this new goodie so they can keep an eye out for it too 🙂